PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® is an acrylic latex cement additive designed to increase water resistance, flexural and adhesion strengths of cement based powders like tile adhesives, screeds and cement plasters. PRO GRIP KEYCOAT ® is particularly recommended for the surface preparation of difficult to tile substrates or for heavy duty tiling applications which require exceptional adhesion and compressive strengths.
1. PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® is a ready to use product and it must not be diluted with water or any other substance
2. When being used as a primer for substrate preparation - PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® must be mixed with PRO GRIP BASECOAT® in the ratio of one part PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® to two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT®. Apply as per the instruction on the PRO GRIP BASECOAT® bag.
3. As an additive to waterproof plasters, mortars and concrete - replace 9 Lt of water in the mix with 9 Lt PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® to 50 Kg cement.
4. For high strength or hydrostatic pressure in plasters, mortars and concrete - replace 18 Lt of water in the mix with 18 Lt of PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® to 50 Kg Cement.
(These recommendations are in accordance with the SABS standard SANS 10107:2011 - The design and installation of ceramic tiles.)
1. For tiling onto smooth surfaces such as off shutter concrete and existing ceramic tiles. The surface must be acid washed to remove laitance and rinsed thoroughly cold clean water. Once dry, the surface must be primed with a mixture consisting of two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT ® mixed with one part PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® and allowed to dry prior to tiling.
2. Painted surfaces, gypsum plasters and surfaces that have old bitumen adhesive on them must be chipped in order to expose at least 80% of the substrate. The surface must then be primed with a mixture consisting of two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT ® mixed with one part PRO GRIP KEYCOAT ® and allowed to dry prior to tiling.
3. Wooden surfaces must be sanded down in order to remove any polish or sealers that might be present and then cleaned. The surface must be primed with a mixture consisting of two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT ® mixed with one part PRO GRIP KEY COAT® and allowed to dry prior to tiling. *This guideline only serves as a basic manual for the surface preparation, product selection and installation procedure for this type of application. Each installation needs to be assessed on merits and the products used and the procedures followed should be in accordance with the SABS code for the design and installation of ceramic tiles (SABS 10107:2011).
4. Highly porous substrates can negatively affect the bond strength of the tile adhesive. Check the porosity of the substrate by applying a small quantity of water. If the moisture is completely absorbed within one minute, then the surface is too porous and will need to be sealed with a mixture of two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT ® mixed with one part PRO GRIP KEYCOAT ® and allowed to dry prior to tiling.
Apply all the above primers with a builders block brush taking care to create a uniform coating of at least 2 mm thickness. The coating should be completely dry before applying any form of adhesive, screed or plaster.
When being used as a waterproof basecoat care must be taken to ensure the surface is coated 100% so that the water cannot penetrate at a later stage.
1. Ensure that the above instructions are adhered to at all times and do not adulterate the product in any way as this could result in failure.
2. Rubber gloves should be used when applying PRO GRIP KEYCOAT ®. In the event of irritation, rinse skin under cold water. Consult a doctor if irritation persists.
3. Keep PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® away from pets and children.
4. Do not ingest and do not empty surplus down drains.