Check “Stock availability” below to see if this item is available in your area.
Pro Grip Key Coat is an acrylic latex compound which is used in combination with Pro Grip Basecoat or cement to prepare difficult to tile surfaces.
PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® is an acrylic latex cement additive designed to increase water resistance, flexural and adhesion strengths of cement based powders like tile adhesives, screeds and cement plasters. PRO GRIP KEYCOAT ® is particularly recommended for the surface preparation of difficult to tile substrates or for heavy duty tiling applications which require exceptional adhesion and compressive strengths.
1. PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® is a ready to use product and it must not be diluted with water or any other substance
2. When being used as a primer for substrate preparation - PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® must be mixed with PRO GRIP BASECOAT® in the ratio of one part PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® to two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT®. Apply as per the instruction on the PRO GRIP BASECOAT® bag.
3. As an additive to waterproof plasters, mortars and concrete - replace 9 Lt of water in the mix with 9 Lt PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® to 50 Kg cement.
4. For high strength or hydrostatic pressure in plasters, mortars and concrete - replace 18 Lt of water in the mix with 18 Lt of PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® to 50 Kg Cement.
(These recommendations are in accordance with the SABS standard SANS 10107:2011 - The design and installation of ceramic tiles.)
1. For tiling onto smooth surfaces such as off shutter concrete and existing ceramic tiles. The surface must be acid washed to remove laitance and rinsed thoroughly cold clean water. Once dry, the surface must be primed with a mixture consisting of two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT ® mixed with one part PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® and allowed to dry prior to tiling.
2. Painted surfaces, gypsum plasters and surfaces that have old bitumen adhesive on them must be chipped in order to expose at least 80% of the substrate. The surface must then be primed with a mixture consisting of two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT ® mixed with one part PRO GRIP KEYCOAT ® and allowed to dry prior to tiling.
3. Wooden surfaces must be sanded down in order to remove any polish or sealers that might be present and then cleaned. The surface must be primed with a mixture consisting of two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT ® mixed with one part PRO GRIP KEY COAT® and allowed to dry prior to tiling. *This guideline only serves as a basic manual for the surface preparation, product selection and installation procedure for this type of application. Each installation needs to be assessed on merits and the products used and the procedures followed should be in accordance with the SABS code for the design and installation of ceramic tiles (SABS 10107:2011).
4. Highly porous substrates can negatively affect the bond strength of the tile adhesive. Check the porosity of the substrate by applying a small quantity of water. If the moisture is completely absorbed within one minute, then the surface is too porous and will need to be sealed with a mixture of two parts PRO GRIP BASECOAT ® mixed with one part PRO GRIP KEYCOAT ® and allowed to dry prior to tiling.
Apply all the above primers with a builders block brush taking care to create a uniform coating of at least 2 mm thickness. The coating should be completely dry before applying any form of adhesive, screed or plaster.
When being used as a waterproof basecoat care must be taken to ensure the surface is coated 100% so that the water cannot penetrate at a later stage.
1. Ensure that the above instructions are adhered to at all times and do not adulterate the product in any way as this could result in failure.
2. Rubber gloves should be used when applying PRO GRIP KEYCOAT ®. In the event of irritation, rinse skin under cold water. Consult a doctor if irritation persists.
3. Keep PRO GRIP KEYCOAT® away from pets and children.
4. Do not ingest and do not empty surplus down drains.
Place your order online and we will source your stock at the nearest store with sufficient stock.
We will have your order packed and ready for collection 3 business hours after your payment has cleared.
This service is available in over 70 stores nationwide.
Check “Stock availability” on the product of your choice to see if this item is available in your area.
CTM product items and quantities vary at each CTM store and your chosen items may not be available at your local CTM store. Should the product not be available, a product expert will attempt to obtain the product or offer you a reasonable alternative. CTM reserves the right to limit quantities of any product. A delivery fee will become applicable if delivery is required.
To speak to a product expert, please call 010 003 9987.
Home renovating products are heavy. Save yourself the backache and have your goods transported to your doorstep.
To calculate the exact delivery cost for your area, add the products you would like to your quote, enter your address and place your order.
We aim for next day delivery depending on stock availability.
In the unlikely event that we are not able to supply your product in your area, we will contact you to discuss alternative solutions.
To speak to a product expert, please call 010 003 9987.
CTM supplies quality products to ensure your peace of mind.
You have 90 days to return any unopened, unused products in their original sellable condition.
We will gladly exchange or refund products provided that:
The return date is within 90 days of purchase.
You have valid proof of purchase (invoice) from CTM.
Goods must be in their original sellable condition and packaging.
Goods must be returned to your nearest CTM.
Please ensure you are satisfied with the product before installing as returns will not be accepted after installation.