PROGRIP BASECOAT® is a specially formulated cement-based compound designed to be used in combination with PROGRIP KEYCOAT for surface preparation prior to the installation of tiles. This product is particularly recommended for the priming of the following types of substrates:
i. Extremely smooth, dense surfaces e.g. power-floated screeds
ii. Excessively porous surfaces e.g. concrete bricks
iii. Non-porous surfaces e.g. steel
iv. Flexible surfaces e.g. wood
v. Surfaces that have been previously coated by a paint or bitumen.
This product is also suitable for surface preparation prior to screeding or plastering.
1. Gradually empty 5 Kg of PROGRIP BASECOAT into 2.5 Lt of PROGRIP KEYCOAT.
2. Mix to a creamy slurry consistency. The use of an electric drill and paddle is recommended to ensure thorough mixing.
3. Use within 1 hour. If the product thickens, DO NOT ADD MORE WATER - rather stir thoroughly to extend pot life
(These recommendations are in accordance with the SABS standard SANS 10107:2011 - The design and installation of ceramic tiles.)
1. Ensure that surfaces to be treated are sound (no cracks or crumbling), clean, free of dust, release agent, fungi, or any surface dampness. Fungi must be removed and the spores killed with the use of an effective fungicide. (a dilution of household bleach is sufficient)
*This guideline only serves as a basic manual for the surface preparation, product selection and installation procedure for this type of application.
2. New walls and floors must be allowed to cure for minimum periods as listed below to ensure that movement due to shrinkage does not affect the installation
a. Direct bedding onto new brick walls and concrete surfaces: 6 weeks
b. New plaster walls: 2 weeks
c. New screeded floors: 4 weeks
3. Very smooth surfaces such as steel trowelled and off-shutter concrete must be acid washed to remove laitance and then rinsed thoroughly with cold water.
4. Painted surfaces, gypsum plasters and surfaces that have old bitumen adhesive on them must be chipped in order to expose at least 80% of the substrate.
1. Liberally apply the slurry to the substrate and spread with a builders block brush.
2. Ensure that the coating is uniform, consistent and at least 2mm thick.
3. A second coat may be required to cover any gaps in the coating.
4. Allow the coating to completely dry between coats and prior to the installation of tiles.
As a guide, a 5 kg bag of PROGRIP BASECOAT will cover approximately 6 m² when applied to a relatively even surface.
1. Ensure that the above instructions are adhered to at all times and do not adulterate the product in any way as this could result in failure.
2. Rubber gloves should be used when applying PROGRIP BASECOAT ®. In the event of irritation, rinse skin under cold water. Consult a doctor if irritation persists.
3. Keep PROGRIP BASECOAT ® away from pets and children.
4. Do not ingest and do not empty surplus down drains.